There has been a slowly growing number of people reporting problems with video and/or chat. In every instance, the problem has been attributed to one of two causes and has been fixed with the solution on this page. If you have experienced any of the following:
- A black (no picture) video window.
- A red X in video window.
- For guys - Girls not responding to you in chat.
- For webcam girls - No guys in your chat room. This one is tricky, because you actually might not have any. The best way to tell is to open another browser and visit your chat room from the guys perspective and try chatting with yourself to be certain your side is working correctly.
- Having to “log in twice” by refreshing to get the chat version you want.
The solution for Windows Vista and Windows XP is:
www.java.com and click the button that says “Free Java Download”.
Follow the instructions to install the latest version of java on your computer.
A reboot is not required, but I’m in the habit of doing it anyhow just to clear any stray programs out of memory, etc.
- Make sure that all programs that use java, such as the Girl Time software, are closed.
- Click Start.
- Click Control Panel.
- On Windows Vista, double click Programs and Features. On Windows XP, double click Add or Remove Programs.
- Look down the list to locate all instances of Java and all Java updates. They will have names like Java(TM) 6 Update 5, Java (TM) 6 Update 6, etc.
- Uninstall ALL instances and updates of Java. Double check to be sure they are all gone by repeating steps 1-4 above.
- Open Internet Explorer (not Firefox) and click on “Tools”.
- Click on “Internet Options”.
- Click on the “Programs” tab.
- Locate the section for Default web browser and click “Make Default” and check the “Tell me…” box. (this is required for webcam girls).
- Click the “OK” button and close Internet Explorer. (this is required for webcam girls)
- Re-open Internet Explorer (not Firefox) and browse to
Assuming your computer has all the latest updates, you should not have any more video or chat problems.
A quick overly-simplified explanation:
Ever since Sun won their lawsuit against Microsoft for their rights to the Java platform they have been afraid to admit to their own failings. Java updates pile up, one on top of another, until they are all screwed up instead of automatically uninstalling previous versions. And, Firefox, if you’ve been duped into installing that garbage by some Microsoft-hating geek, is much ado about nothing. If you’re a computer geek that enjoys other fun things like dual-boot, PHP or Linux, rock on with your Firefox. But if you’re like the rest of us, stick with Internet Explorer and stay on top of the updates. Webcam girls are required to have Internet Explorer as their default browser to enjoy full functionality of the Firecracker and Ultravid software.